It's a big day in my world. It's National Dietitian Day!
Maybe not as big of a day to you.
But it should be.
Because everyone should have a dietitian! Everyone needs a nutrition expert in their life to help muddle through the masses of research and fad diets and opinions. How do we know what is really true?
In my FAQs, I talk a little bit about the difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist. But I thought today would be a good day to make it super practical. And so, I present to you, what a dietitian can do for you:
- Studies show working with a dietitian can help you lose weight - and keep it off!
- Goal-setting and problem-solving
- Work with you individually, customizing something that WORKS for you
- Access to the latest research, and how to interpret it
- Personalized meal plan or menu
- Tricks, tips, and skills to stay on track
- Support and encouragement
- Nutritional management of a host of diseases:
- obesity, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, cancer, eating disorders, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, malnutrition, GI issues, Crohn's, malabsorption, HIV/AIDS
- Nutritional management of life stages:
- pregnancy, pre-pregnancy, post-partum, aging, pediatrics, failure to thrive
- Optimize athletic performance (along with your training program)
- Help find proper supplementation, or even help manage tube feeding at home
- Provide education
- Calculate your nutritional needs - calories, fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, water
- Advocate for improved nutrition in our schools
- Assess your nutritional status
- Answer questions, such as "is this healthy?" or "how does this fit into what I'm already doing/dealing with?"